- Welcome to the Anxious Dogs of Australia Group, to ensure that we all stick to one philosophy-related rule for participation here, stick to force free reward-based, positive reinforcement training theories. The purpose of this group is for members to be able to share their good days as well as not so good days! To offer help, information and advice (see Topics below) while giving support to owners who have dogs with behavioural problems, particularly reactivity (overreactinging to stimuli). separation anxiety and other anxiety disorders! However, if your dog is that anxious you should seek professional help from a Trainer or a Behaviour Vet to develop a personalised plan as we.can only give general advice and don’t want people to delay in seeking proper help.
- We welcome all folk interested in canine behavioural problems including professionals in the field, such as behavioural trainers, vets, vet nurses and vet behaviourists (behaviour vets).
- This group is force free, new posts are moderated needing admin approval before being sent into the group.We do not enter into discussing why individual posts are not approved. If an admin likes it, it will be approved. New members, please post in with a photo along with your intro, questions or stories about your dogs.
- Behavioural problems that stem from anxiety and can also be due to particular phobias, such as thunderstorm phobias. Broadly speaking Behaviour problems are truly abnormal behaviours. These include aggression, fears, phobias and anxiety. Behaviour modification of behaviour problems involves changing how dogs feel about it. Other topics are TRICKS, BRAIN GAMES, NOSEWORK, EVIRONMENTAL ENRICHMENT, HUSBANDRY etc .
Conversation with Vet Behaviourist Dr Nicole Lobry de Bruyn and Glasgow Dog Trainer
- Read the Files before posting questions.
- Use the search feature before posting questions.
- No blocking of admin team members. You will be removed.
- Keep discussions in the group (no deleting of posts) so others can learn.
- Be Nice. We’re all here to learn. We all started at the beginning.
-Violence. Keep it out of your comments.
-Keep comments supportive, if not they will be removed...
- No berating of fellow members.
- Recommendations on euthanasia is not allowed. Only the owner with the help of trusted, in person professionals can make that call.
- Taking of screen shots is not allowed, to do so risks termination of membership without any warning.
- The group admins are entitled to deny entry to any member they choose and are also allowed to unsub and block members who don’t comply with our house rules :-(
- anti-anxiety related or not, contact your vet, we can't always moderate posts or control what sort of advice you might receive from 8,000 + members. It would be irresponsible to allow discussion that may end up harming your dog. These posts will either not be approved as members need to see a veterinarian to obtain a diagnosis and discuss treatment requirements or comments closed. Giving medical advice is completely out of line, only a vet can do this, only a registered veterinarian is qualified and able to diagnose and treat mental illness in your pet.
OFF TOPIC MEDICATION:
We only advocate pharmaceutical drugs in the group. Alternate Remedies is a touchy subject and are not encouraged as they tend to solicit extreme opinions. Cannabidiol oil (CBD oil) Paw Complete Calm (tryptophan supplements) - Homeopathy - Essential Oils, 'Natural Remedies', Rescue Remedy, Herbs, CTFD etc. are off topic as some herbs can interact negatively with prescription medicines such as tryptophan supplements if your dog is on anti anxiety meds .
We can't always moderate posts or control what sort of medical advice you might receive from 8,000 + members so it is against group rules to recommend specific supplements, medications and doses thereof as It would be irresponsible to allow discussion that may end up harming your dog. These posts will either not be approved - or comments deleted - and members suggested to see a veterinarian to obtain a diagnosis and discuss treatment requirements, or comments closed.
off topic - raw feeding and diets: (not related to medicaL DIETS AND MEDICATION)
- Too much of a slippery slope to go down and it would be irresponsible of us to allow discussion that may end up harming your dog. We can't always moderate posts or control what sort of advice you might receive from 8,000 + members so these posts will either be deleted or not be approved or comments closed and members suggested to see a veterinarian and obtain a diagnosis discussing treatment requirements. If you do not agree with the tenets of this group there are many other behavior groups you can join.
Off TOPIC training:
- Dominance training (pack leader etc.) verbal Punishment, flooding, balanced training, negative reinforcement, positive punishment based techniques (+P -R) check chains, prong collars, e.collars, slip leads, citronella, bark collars etc). Hidden fence systems, punishment trainers (Cesar Milan etc). Nrms, Time Outs and Deterrents .We do not advocate giving or asking for advice that doesn't fit into the Force Free paradigm on this page including recommendation of trainers or using aversives either on the group or privately. If you do not agree with the tenets of this group there are many other behavior groups you can join.
- Limited Advertising is allowed on this group (seminars, trainers and training classes etc. must be force free). Out of courtesy please first seek approval from Group Owner Pat Robards before posting.
- Behavioural trainers recommended by the Anxious Dog Group are force free, professional members of the Pet Professional Guild of Australia http://ppgaustralia.nft.au/ or the Delta Institute. http://www.deltasociety.com.au/pages/delta-institute.html and the APDT of Australia http://www.apdt.com.au/ Trainers are listed on their website.
Training methods used here:
- The Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) recommends the use of positive reinforcement training methods for dogs as the preferred method of training.
how to choose a dog trainer:
HOW TO CHOOSE A DOG TRAINER!
- Posts that criticise the group, Admins or another member either publically or privately will be deleted as it deflects from the ethos and the member may be unsubbed and blocked. Please respect this rule when posting as it is not up for debate or discussion.We will deny any post or remark that doesn't fit into these rules, to do so may risk termination of membership without any warning.
- A listing of behavioural trainers, veterinary behaviourists, animal behavourists, vets interested in behaviour, fear free vets and other great resources can be found in the Files area.
Broken links checked 9th August 2019
© 2001-2019 Australian K9 Current Events. All rights reserved.